Our 85-year History
On Sept. 15, 1931, mechanical engineer Hans Herman Voss founded VOSS Automotive, Inc., in Wipperfurth, Germany. At the time, the company was known as Armaturenfabrik, a plumbing fitting manufacturer.
It wasn’t until 1953 that the company changed its name to VOSS Automotive, Inc., and began developing tube connections for vehicle construction and mechanical engineering. Since then, VOSS has grown to meet demands of the commercial vehicle, construction and agriculture equipment, and passenger car industries.
Today, we offer an extensive portfolio of customized line and connection technology for the vehicle systems of tomorrow. We specialize in selective catalytic reduction (SCR), diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), fuel and fuel cell, coolant and pneumatic system lines. We also manufacture quick connect systems, multi-connection systems, manifolds and more.
And with 13 locations worldwide, we continue to operate near our customers – where we should be.
Click here to read a more detailed history of VOSS Automotive, Inc.
Hermann Voss took over a small factory in Wipperfürth, Germany, for the fabrication of domestic plumbing fittings, and VOSS Automotive was founded on Sept. 15, 1931.
The founder’s son, Hans Hermann Voss, diversified VOSS products by developing tube connections for vehicle construction and mechanical engineering.
The Wipperfürth business was expanded, and the Nordkirchen plant was founded.
VOSS concentrated on the “Leiersmühle” location by taking over the whole site, including Bernhard Meyer KG buildings and 140 employees (1970).
1970 – 1972
Subsidiaries were founded in export markets.
VOSS launched the world’s first quick connect system (240) for pneumatic brakes in commercial vehicles.
The company took over the ZAKO range, as well as pipe and flange connections for extreme loading in hydraulic systems.
VOSS purchased production and administration buildings, and it expanded the facility in Wipperfürth, Germany, to more than 100,000 square meters.
VOSS acquired shares in Forschungsgesellschaft für Kraftfahrwesen (fka), RWTH Aachen. Later, quick connect system 203 was used in air suspension lines, which was the first time any VOSS components were used in passenger cars.
The company launched additional air suspension components and quick connectors (246) for fuel lines in the passenger car market.
VOSS partnered with Kreissparkasse Köln (Cologne district savings bank). Sales revenue served as a diversification of assets of the Hans Hermann Voss-Stiftung (Foundation, est. 1992). New distribution companies in USA and Brazil were also established, and the Brazilian company began producing nylon tubes.
The company structure was changed: VOSS Holding GmbH + Co. KG and subsidiaries.
- Armaturenfabrik Hermann Voss GmbH + Co. KG; components for the vehicle industry
- VOSS Fluidtechnik GmbH + Co. KG; components for the engineering industry
Production was reorganized into fractals: “factories within the factory”. The fractal tube and hose assemblies for commercial and passenger vehicles were also expanded.
The operating companies’ legal forms and names were changed to:
- VOSS Automotive GmbH
- VOSS Fluid GmbH & Co. KG
Additionally, VOSS Automotive GmbH completed the new trial and prototype workshop.
The VOSS Automotive Polska production plant in Legnickie Pole, Poland, was opened.
Selective catalytic reduction (SCR) modules for exhaust after-treatment were introduced to the product portfolio. In the same year, a joint venture with VOSS-Exotech Automotive in Pune, India, was established.
Chinese subsidiary, VOSS Automotive Components (Jinan) Co., Ltd., was founded.
Japanese subsidiary, VOSS Japan, Ltd., was founded.
VOSS Automotive Mexico, S. de R.L. de C.V., manufacturing operations was founded, and at year’s end, the Hans Hermann Voss-Stiftung (Foundation) became sole owner of VOSS Group.
VOSS North American headquarters was opened in Fort Wayne, Ind.
VOSS leaders broke ground on a new production plant in Arteaga, Mexico.